To support a diverse curriculum and expanding pupil intake the development of the new Arts Block annex with a full footprint basement was paramount to the upgrading of the school which has been educating children in London since 1698.
Due to the length of the programme, the works had to be completed whilst the school remained in operation and the children were actively involved in learning about the process and the stages of the works.
With its placement within the grounds of a historic school building, the structure had to deliver a complementary and defining aspect.
The use of copper cladding was introduced as a rain-screen element to achieve a visual impact. The provision of a deep glass balustrade screening made the balcony level useable, fun and safe for the children, while the clear span basement areas provided an excellent environment for theatre productions and ensured the school have flexibility regarding the use of the space for various functions.